Entering Venice

Friday, August 26, 2011

First off, what a sweet and generous welcome!

We love you, too, Venice!


We visited the hospital today as we walked around Venice.  Like everthing else, it is housed in an original very old structure of stone and brick.  In Venice, you don't really clear ground for a new building or buy up empty lots, so the hospital is planned within the space of the existing buildings, with little hallways and stairs (with tiled marble floors) leading you to the various specialties.  We watched as a man was escorted from the hospital in a "wheelchair" to a boat.   The wheel chair looked more like a wheelbarrow with a seat- only two wheels in the back and the gentleman tilted the man back on the chair and carted him off.  I imagine that's much more practical in a city with so many stairs and boats!





Below:  Heather in front of the Molino Stucky.  Formerly a mill and factory, it is now a Hilton Hotel and private residences.  The Rezidencia Grande Veduti (where we are staying) has apartment/hotel rooms on the fourth and fifth floors.  We are on the fifth floor in a great apartment!  Alex, we are taking pictures of our "house" and we'll post them for you soon!



The view from our windows:

2 comments:

Susan said...

Looks like such fun!! I know you're having a wonderful time and it's great to see your pictures! I didn't visit the hospital when we were there but I did a pix of the ambulanza! Maybe it's a nurse thing? Have you tried the limoncello yet? It's a must not be missed treat! Just about bedtime there so sweet dreams...in VENICE!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm very very very thankful for Sacred Heart Hosp. in Spokane....Love, Mom B.