One of the places we will be visiting this summer is Hannah's Hope, the orphanage run by All God's Children International. This is an amazing place where kids without families are loved, nurtured, cared for and taught. With adoptions in Guatemala currently halted, AGCI is working hard to continue to provide care for orphans in Guatemala, even without the funds that are usually available through adopting families.
Hannah's Hope has a special place in our family's story and we would like to support the work they are doing when we travel. The kids are working to collect donations for the orphanage which they will pack and deliver to Hannah's Hope. Here's what they each have to say about why this endeavor is important to them:
Ella: "Kids need to brush their teeth and we want to help them and Jesus wants to help them. They don't have the things they need."
Maria: "Maybe when the kids are bored they could get out art supplies and color and draw pictures. They can brush their teeth so their breath smells good."
Kyler: "My brother Max went there and stayed there and I felt when I was in foster care that I was an orphan and it felt strange so can you please help us. It can make them feel like they are in a real home and family."
Beth: "I think that these supplies will help them feel like people really care for them and help with their education and become the persons God wants them to be."
Alex: "I always would like to bring them stuff; it's my favorite."
Max: "I think it's important because I lived there once and I also like Hannah's Hope because they took good care of me. It's my kinda favorite place in Guatemala. I want to tell all of the kids, 'Marvin's (MAR-veen's) home! I am glad to be here. I love you kids.'"
The needs identified by Hannah's Hope are hygiene supplies for kids (shampoo, cream, soap, toothpaste, baby wipes) and school and office supplies.
We will also be visiting a child sponsorship project through Christian Children's Fund in Totonicapan, Guatemala (Project San Miguel) and will have the opportunity to meet the children we sponsor there, their families and the other children of the community.
We are waiting for a list of specific items needed from Project San Miguel, but based on our previous visit needed items would include Spanish language children's books, school supplies, craft/art supplies, sports equipment, and any medical supplies (first aid items, antibiotic ointment, band aids, gauze, over-the-counter medications, etc).
We'd love to have you be a part of our trip in this way if you would like, and to make it easy for you to reach out in support of children in Guatemala! If you have any items you would like to donate, you can give them to any member of the family anytime. We're flying out on June 18th, and will be sure to post about our time in these places!
Thank you!
Elizabeth, Maria, Kyler, Max, Ella and Alex
.jpg)
2 comments:
Heather, I'm so excited for your family. We never got to get together. I know the kids would like to get some of the things you all need and bring them to you guys. Are you up for dessert one night or something. Let me know. If not, we'll still bring them down there. Talk to you soon.
Hey Max and Kyler:
Grandpa Bob Here. Just saying I remember my first visit to Hannah's Hope, sitting in a waiting room area (after a trip by the guard) and having a six year old bundle of boy placed in my lap (that was you, Max). Kyler got to hold you, too. We loked out at the play gym that June that your dad, mom and young people from your church had assembled the previous February when your folks got to see you in person for the first time. That was pretty much beyond cool! Now you get to go back and visit, and I hope that all your friends from when you called Hannah's Hope home have found wonderful families to be part of like you have. Get ready for an adventure that you can share with all your brothers and sisters. When you talk with the kids you can let them know what it's like to find and be part of your "forever family."
Grandpa Bob
Post a Comment