100th Post! Off to Mexico...

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Wow.  This is my 100th post and it seems as if that should be very significant.  Not sure why...   Aaron just wondered if I was going to give away any prizes.  Hadn't considered that, but maybe I should look into it... :-)

Anyway, of far greater significance than what number precedes this post (and the reason I'm actually writing) is the fact that we leave our house tomorrow morning at 4:45 am to head to the airport.  The kids and I are finally getting to go with Aaron on SERVE, the mission trip to Mexico that happens every three years to El Florido, about 20 minutes east of Tijuana along the border.  Every previous trip, we've either just brought someone home to join our family, been about to bring someone home, or been waiting for passports or citizenship after finalizing the bringing home of several someones.  This year marks a new era: the number of people in our family has plateaued, and we are all passport holding US citizens.  Whoo-hoo!

All our bags are packed and actually already on their way to southern CA, along with the luggage of the 220 other students and leaders on SERVE 2010.  All that's left for us to do is get our tired little selves out of bed at a truly unkind hour, get dressed, and grab our backpacks.  We'll fly to LA and stay at The Master's College for a couple of days for team building and training, then drive across the border into Mexico.  I'll try to update as I can, although I'm not sure when I'll have access to the internet.

It will be quite the adventure, as we head into a lot of unknowns.  Living in a tent with all my kids in the midst of 220 other people leaves one feeling rather on display. :-)  And, as we all know, we'd rather our kids displayed the best behavior and attitudes when out in public (well, I guess myself, too!)...  what are the odds THAT'S going to happen for 2 weeks straight?  Pretty slim, I'd say.

Real life.   That's what we will "display."   Real life.

I just hope I do real life well these coming weeks.  :-)

2 comments:

Michelle said...

Praying for you guys and so excited to hear all that God is doing!!

Katharine said...

Real life. That's what we will "display." Real life.

That's all we ever get to display anyway, but I think it works better when we can admit it.

!Vaya con Dios!