Packed for home

Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Well, we're nearly packed and ready to go home. All the laundry is done and all our luggage is packed, but what would a trip to Guatemala be if we didn't try to big home something that is either very large or very heavy? Last time I went for heavy by bringing home a cement planter, this time we're doing large. We didn't realize quite how large these items were until we got back to our hotel and compared them to our suitcases. We quickly realized they were both over-sized for airline baggage requirements and the oversize charge is $150 each!!!! Now, we didn't pay much for these things! So, after some initial big disappointment, we set about trying to figure out how we can get these things into less than 62 linear inches...
I am VERY pleased to say that we did it! The beautiful wrought wall art candle display is now quite a different shape as we had to bend and push and sit on it to make it smaller (we figured it can't get worse- we either leave it here or try to get it home- we did take a photo of it first so we can remember how it's supposed to look!), and we finally got it wrapped in cardboard at just under 62 inches.
My traditional hand carved wood chest and feet/stand (only $38!!! I had to ask the price several times... "really, it's 275 Quetzales? 275?") have now been dismantled and the lid removed... making the bottom piece exactly 62 inches. :-)
So, hoping the person at the airport measures the same way we did, I am thankful and amazed that we will now be able to get these special items home. They're our Guatemala fix when we're missing our experiences here... :-)

We had a fun relaxing morning, with the kids swimming in the pool while Aaron and I sat and talked and drank our coffee/tea, our excuse for not getting in the freezing water with the kids today. "Sorry, I'm not done with my coffee yet," says Aaron. :-)


We headed out before lunch to the beautiful Casa Santo Domingo and explored their gardens and museums, ...and then went into the restaurant to eat the lunch Aaron and I have been dreaming of for 8 years. Boy, was it worth the wait! Our lunch was unbelievable- so incredible, unique and delicious. Aaron had a pan seared beef tenderloin (3 inches tall) topped with carmelized onions, and served with ravioli stuffed with slow roasted short ribs, sauted spinach with gorganzola, and shitake mushrooms. I had a delicous Chapina soup (similar to what we served at Elizabeth's last birthday party)- with chicken broth poured over chicken, half avocado, rice, carrots, potatoes, herbs and some kind of chilis at the table. My soup was followed by phyllo pastry rolls filled with cabbage and shrimp, with three dipping sauces- an amazing peach sauce, Thai barbeque, and soy-ginger mayonnaise. We decided that we just had to experience dessert, so we ordered Bananas Flambe for the kids, chocolate souffle with vanilla sauce and pistachio ice cream for me (absolutely amazing), and white and dark chocolate layered mousse with espresso ice cream for Aaron.
They make their own ice creams and sherbets there. We wanted to come back again for dinner, but after we finally finished lunch at 4:15 and then completed our shopping, we realized we should probably go back to our villa to pack and get the kids to bed before we wake them up at 4 am! Another Domino's pizza night -the kids think they're in heaven to have pizza delivered 2 nights in a row and dinner in front of the TV- two things we never do at home! Aaron and I think it's heaven to have them content and laughing while we pack. :-)

So, since we didn't make it back for dinner, Aaron and I are planning to come back just the two of us for a date in a couple years... probably we'll need to stay at Casa Santo Domingo for a couple nights, too. :-)
Good night, Antigua. Good night, Guatemala.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW!!! What an great ending to an amazing vacation. The kids looked like they have grown up before my very eyes in these pictures. I can't wait to see all of you. I think the idea of you and Aaron going back....just the two of you.....is an AWESOME idea!!!!
Blessings,
Annette