I feel so far behind it's hard to just jump in with "now." However, the reluctance to jump in with "now" is a large part of how I got so far behind!
...I'll get a chance to go back and blog about our trip to Ocean Shores, and THEN I'll update about preparing for Thanksgiving in the local ER... Or... first I'll get around to sharing the amazing, wonderful, great news that Mom Jackie is OUT of the hospital now while waiting for her heart transplant... and THEN I can reminisce about Christmas, Max's 7th Birthday and the New Year....
Or, I can just start here and now, and actually post something. I guess I'm going with Plan B.
I'm having surgery in 6 days. Big surgery. This is starting to sink in a bit more. I have spent the last 7 weeks (since the above mentioned ER visit) longing for this surgery with all of my heart, soul and abdomen (especially this area- it's been sending up it's own not-so-silent-pleas); despairing that it was so long in coming; and literally counting down the days. When feeling better, I've been planning, organizing, cooking and cleaning in hopes of lightening the load on my hubby and family during my recovery when I will officially be Totally Lame And Pathetic. Maybe I need a t-shirt that says this, just so no one feels uncomfortable with what appears to be obvious, but seems unkind to state out loud: "Um, excuse me, but I could hardly help but notice that you seem to be Totally Lame And Pathetic. Can you really not do anything useful?"
The answer could be on the back: No, I Can't. Of course, that wouldn't necessarily help, since most people won't even see my back unless they happen to be laying on the floor under my clear Plexiglas sofa cushions.
I don't really have a Plexiglas couch (fairly obvious, I know), and anyway, who could fit under the couch with all the books and toys that are "stored" there?
Anyway, veering wildly down a rabbit trail... I promise, I'm not even on Percocet right now. :-)
So, my endometriosis is back, and causing quite significant ongoing pain this time. It all came on fairly suddenly, and once it started, it didn't let go. The pain has not seemed to cycle, it's just daily in some form or another and requires narcotics on the worst days. Hard to do life as usual this way!
In 6 days, my surgeon and one of her partners will spend a couple of hours "cleaning up" after my endometriosis uninvited guest- removing several large masses, any adhesions, and any other spots of endometriosis they can find. After that, I have kindly asked that she please remove the organs most heavily involved with this disease, because I'd like to be done with this, thank you very much. This will be my second surgery for this (endometriosis, not organ removal), and I'd really like it to be my last.
This is no guarantee that I will be rid of the endo forever- 15% of woman with endo who have their uterus and both ovaries removed still struggle with endometriosis... can you believe that? Of course, given that I will have turned 36 three days prior to surgery ...."Happy Birthday to you, would you like that removed? We can take it all for you, and we hope that you'll feel brand new..." (Yes, that can be sung) I'm not quite ready yet to be thrust into immediate full menopause, so will be taking replacement hormones, which can in turn feed the endometriosis. Tricky stuff, hmmm?
However, I am putting in my order for the glorious This Solves All My Problems type of experience. :-) After, of course, I recover from my open abdominal surgery: no lifting more than 10 pounds for 6 weeks, no driving for 3-4 weeks, tired, needing extra rest/sleep (ha!), and getting my new hormone regimen figured out.
All of this makes me reflect on the plans we make. I had purposed to enjoy this year in a special way, to not let these unique moments of life slip by, not not miss the little blessings of this years' schedule. It may sound silly, but this was a beautiful year to anticipate: All six kids in school this year, at the same school. One school schedule to work with, and a couple hours in the afternoon "free." I wanted to soak it all in and enjoy it... just make the most of it realizing that this year will never come again.
My afternoons of Bible study with my cup of tea, curled up in my favorite chair with a beautiful garden view, and silent (aahhh, the silence!) little tasks around the house lasted for one month. One month. Month two: Flu. Months three & four: Holidays leading into/alternating with days of Pain. Month 5? I probably won't even remember month five as I'll spend all those afternoons in an exhausted coma after making it through the morning post-op!
Isn't it interesting how our plans change? I am having to focus so much more on how to really "soak up" this time. I don't want to just get through it, because this is still my life, my kids' lives, my husband's life... and we don't get to do these days again. They are precious, even these truly hard and painful days. How will I treasure them in this new time that I wasn't expecting? What does that look like for this time of life? I don't know the answer to that yet. I'd love to hear your thoughts on how you treasure each moment that you're given...
...usually I take pictures, but I can tell you, that is one way I will NOT be treasuring/documenting this time! :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
.jpg)
7 comments:
Heather, No need to take pictures. Really. I'll be there soon to do that for you! ;) I remember the last surgery you went through and I was so impressed by your motivation to get well and get on with your life. Of course things are different now with five more children but that shouldn't make much difference ya think? I'm sure you'll be just as motivated and I just talked to Amy and she will be there to help too. I thought I'd hang around for a few of the days that she's there and spend some time catching up with her and be able to share some of the responsibility for the kids and running the house. We'll all do just fine and you won't be Totally Lame and Pathetic for long. And we truly don't expect you to do anything remotely useful. Just rest and get well! You'll be great and you'll probably find this was the best decision to make because you'll be pain free!!! You'll be fine and there will be lots of help. Aunt Sally may even make an appearance too! Hey, looking forward to your birthday Sunday. I know the menu will be great. See you then.
Love, Mom
Heather,
I know you have suffered through this in the past and am hoping this will truely rid you of your pain and siffering. Praying for a safe and effective surgery and a peaceful, speedy recovery for you. Take advantage of others during this time! Happy Birthday to you tomorrow too! I was just thinking today about how your birthday was coming up and until reading this, I hadn't realized that you were going to be getting such a "gift"! Have a great day celebrating you tomorrow!!! Praying for you! Deanne
Wow Heather! If any person faced even a fraction of the events in your past year (in any order), the result would be overwhelming. But throw them all together and Wow! What an opportunity for God's grace to step in and carry you in a new way.
Praying for you, for your family, for your surgeons, for your ability to enjoy quality time with your children and husband (in between recovering)...but mostly I am just praying God fills you to overflowing and allows you to rest in knowing that every moment that goes by will be carried in his loving hands.
How's your freezer space by the way? I know some ladies who would love to help fill it and free Aaron up from having to think about dinner!
I cherish you! I cherish the ability that God has given you to reach out to others and touch them even when you are just reflecting. I am praying for you and your family. Chrissy just went through this in June so I have seen how much pain and time is involved in the recovery. My friend, we are all here. You will call (or Aaron or the kids will call) and we will come to you. I also have some freezer meals that you are welcome to if you have the space. I'll talk to you soon.
Aw, Heather, thanks for jumping right into the "now" and sharing. If I'm doing the math correctly, you're almost at the doorstep of your surgery day -- the day leading to a distinct absence of pain. I will indeed be praying. Hope you had a terrific birthday. And, about savoring this year... The kids are at near-perfect ages for this experience. Sure, if it happened later, they'd be older and wiser and even more capable. But right now, they're all on the same school schedule and this is all a good thing.
If you find a place to buy the Lame and Pathetic t-shirt, let me know. I'd like to have one around for myself, just because.
You know, the folks that make our camp staff T-shirts might be able to make a "lame and pathetic" shirt for you...although you might have to pay for 40 of them. You could save the extra's as baby shower gifts...just a thought.
Thanks for visiting my blog by the way, it's so fun to see someone new. When I read your Christmas letter and saw that you included the part about the "zipper injury" I was thrilled. These are real live people. I said to myself. Yeah yeah they all look perfect in their picture, no one is biting anyone else or coloring their belly button, but they are real nonetheless...I can tell.
Can't wait to see everyone when your family is up later this winter and we're praying about your surgery. God Bless.
Hi Heather - you don't know me (I know... nice way to start...) I went to college with Aaron a lonnnnngggg time ago. Anyways... I'm praying you do as well as I have post TAH for endo. I still have days of pain, but after 7 surgeries... I have lots of adhesions. My pain no longer controls my life and is in minutes and hours rather than days, months and years.
Don't be afraid to try different things with the HRT - it is HARD for the Dr's to figure out what to do when you are young like us (I was 29) and the same thing doesn't work for everyone. Remember, the loss of hormones will do CRAZY things to you so you will be tired and feel "lame and pathetic" - sorry.
If I can help you in any way... I'm one of Aaron's "friend's" on facebook - you can find me there.
God Bless
Trina Bair
Post a Comment