Tikal - Monday, June 22

Monday, June 22, 2009



Tikal was amazing and the kids did awesome. We had a marvelous young guide, David, who was fantastic with the kids. They loved him and he was really a delight with a great sense of humor.
We “cheated” at the beginning and got a truck to take us to the farthest point of our journey and only had to walk back, thereby avoiding the hour+ walk into the park. I don’t think we would have fared as well without that! It was certainly hot and exhausting, but we all survived…
We started right off by climbing to the top of the highest temple in Tikal- it’s 22 stories high! Yes, we all made it to the top of Temple IV- 190 stairs (Elizabeth counted and confirmed), and the view was spectacular. My heart only half stopped functioning once at the top watching my six treasures so high above the canopy, and no railing. We were on the back side, which appeared to me to be a pretty straight drop down. Of course, you can’t quite take my word for it as I stayed as close to the wall as I could get. The ledge was only maybe 4 feet wide? Our guide just walked along it as if it was no big deal. Of course, he has been there like 2000 times (for real, we asked) and hasn’t yet fallen off. I guess you probably don’t meet many guides who have… I did insist that my kids all stay seated on that top stair and NO walking along the edge. Gheeesh. My heart is racing now just thinking about it and I can hardly type! OK, next topic or I might pass out now just recounting it… :-)

Starting our climb...


The view from the top, looking out over Tikal with the temple towers rising through the forest canopy...
We're at the top!!!

Yes, I think that is a death grip I have on Alex’s hand…

We explored through the forest as we journeyed from one site to another, inspecting ants, birds, lizards and monkeys. With all the time David spends there, he is incredible at identifying animals and knowing when they are near. Several times he would stop us because he could hear the movements or calls of an animal, and sure enough, he would locate it for us. At the top of Temple IV, we heard our first howler monkeys in the distance. Alex desperately wanted to see them and really could not understand my reasoning that we couldn’t just produce them for him. Well, David pulled out his cell phone to call his monkey friends, and they agreed that they’d come soon, but it might be a few minutes as they were busy howling right now. Within moments, the monkeys (spider monkeys, but Alex didn’t know the difference!) came swinging through the canopy below us… David’s got connections!




We saw some more monkeys playing in the trees later… they were so fun to watch!

Dad and Alex hike through the forest to our next site...
There is only one structure in the park that you are allowed to climb straight up on the original steps, and the kids took off! Even those not so fond of being up high ventured at least part way up for the experience. I was so proud of them today- hot, sweaty, exhausted and red-cheeked, they took on those climbs and temples! Even Ella, who has complained nearly every week day of the last two years three times as day as we walk the few blocks back and forth to school that it’s “too far,” climbed to the top of the last temple for the great view of the Temple of the Jaguar- of her own initiative!


For those that have known Maria since she was just little, I have to include these next two photos. Seeing her a few years ago, would you ever have imagined that she would someday climb to the top of an ancient Mayan temple all by herself? She has come so far and accomplished so much! I am so proud of her and today was just one of those moments when we can clearly see how far she has come. To think the original question was “will she walk?” Amazing! I had tears in my eyes!

The Temple of the Grand Jaguar, as seen from the top of the temple facing it across the plaza.

Back at La Lancha, it was a race to get into swimsuits and jump into that pool! So nice to be all wet for a different reason! :-) Oh, it was a glorious time and a lovely relaxing evening.


We had an incredible dinner tonight outside, treated to thunder and lightning throughout the evening as we dined by candlelight. The kids got to tour the kitchen and meet the chef, and it was just altogether a beautiful evening. It started raining just as we left to walk back down to our rooms.
Tomorrow will be nice and relaxing with no place to be at any certain time. We’ll get up, eat some breakfast and explore- perhaps take a hike nearby, go canoeing on the lake, or just spend the morning swimming. As we’re currently the only guests, late check out will not be a problem… :-) We’ll play here all day, then check out and head to the airport late afternoon for our return flight to Guatemala City.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

So refreshing to share in your vacation. Thank you for taking us along on this trip that ranges from the very personal, just plain fun, and dizzying heights! Praying that the entire time is a tremendous blessing to your family and those you encounter. BTW, it was 43 degrees today after raining, hail and thunder on Fathers Day. Enjoy yourselves. Travis

Unknown said...

Hey Adventurers! How amazing to actually be at Tikal and be able to go exploring! You all look like you were having a pretty good time. It's fun to see photos of all you kids climbing on the pyramids with a special congrats to Maria for making it to the top. Way to go explorers, one and all!

Unknown said...

Oops! I see I didn't finish my comment before posting. I wanted to see if I could use my Google account and got carried away I guess. Anyway, glad to hear you are feeling better and hopefully your dizziness has left you completely Heather. (I'm assuming it has cause you were at the top of the pyramid and if anything can make you dizzy I think it would be that!) Have a fun afternoon relaxing and thanks for keeping us so well informed and up to date. It's a real treat to be able to follow you and see pix of all the fun you're having.
Love, Gramma Sue and Grampa Jerry

Anonymous said...

You were very brave Heather for making that climb. I remember when we went to the Grand Canyon and Austin (then 5) was close to the edge a few times....and yes it takes your breath away and even more when you think about it later...LOL
Glad you had a great time....love the pictures :)
Blessings,
Annette

Anonymous said...

Tell Maria "GOOD JOB" for me for making it all the way up those stairs. So proud of her.
Miss Annette

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness!!! How fun does all that look!?! I am certain the pictures, as wonderful as they are, don't do the views, heights and scenery justice. Even so, the heights made me a bit dizzy just from the pictures...
What amazing memories to have as a family... I am so proud of all the kids - so fun to see them so excited to go exploring on this amazing adventure - and to get to do it together as a family - very awesome.
I love that you are the only ones staying at La Lancha. What a gorgeous place to have all to yourselves... I'm sure the staff is loving getting to know you all.
Reading your posts I'm overwhelmed with thoughts of all you are experiencing and the memories you are making - such precious things you will all have to take with you for the rest of your lives.
Thank you all for being willing to share as you travel... this is so much fun!
Love you all tons! Aunt Amy

Anonymous said...

Hello, Happy Hikers!!! Hard to believe you all made it to the top and no one fell off (especially Heather and Aaron...I wasn't worried too much about the kids!). Love those rosy cheeks. Maria, I told you you were getting bigger muscles in your legs! Woohoo for making it to the top! You go, girl! Ella, sounds like you're getting to be as strong as Maria...all the way to the top with a smile on your face! Boys, I wasn't sure if the picture in the trees was of you or the monkeys. Which was it?! Elizabeth, saw a picture of you 'stylin' in the middle of the jungle! Are you sure you're hiking or are you just there for photo shoots? Keep the photos coming, gang! I love seeing your trip unfold while I'm sitting home in the pouring rain! Maybe someday I'll get to go swing from trees, too! Love you guys!
Katy C

The Merwin Family said...

It has been such a treat reading all the entries! Thanks for sharing your journey with us! Good job Maria! You all are troopers though! Enjoy your time and thanks again for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Well Bauer family- i finally got to sit down and read the last couple of days--i like to take time and really take it all in!! and so i now am taking it ALL in and tears are coming thinking of how special it all is for you. God is amazing in His creation of nature, of you humans, of your family, and He is amazing in how He is making this experience so grand for you!!! You are a lovely family and incredibly cute!! I am proud of all of you for amazing attitudes, energy, bravery, determination, and excitement that makes it so fun for everyone! Heather---i am with you girl--we had a similar experience at the grand canyon as for some reason individuals in my party seemed to think the roped off part was just a suggestion! i am pretty sure your experience was even crazier!! i probably would have fallen off from wobbly legs! oh, and Alex does look like his hand is being squeezed! :) Your fantastic journal entries here are really taking us along on the journey---thanks! lovin' you, traceycrabtree