Don't you love getting packages in the mail (even if you had to ship them to yourself)?

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

It's been a full week here!
I had the best photo happen in front of me last week but no camera; and oddly enough didn't think the person involved would want to wait while I went to fetch it. We had ordered tons of Spanish books from Amazon, and were expecting them to arrive one or two packages a day per the postal service tracking. Well, I see the postwoman drive up, and rummage around for the packages in the back of her truck. The next thing I see is this tower of boxes emerging from around the truck and the poor woman barely peeking over the top to see where she's going! I SO wanted to run for the camera, but instead said something intelligent like, "I'm so sorry, I didn't think they would all come at once." (Yes, I think I actually did say those words. In addition to being blinded by boxes, her ears are also assaulted by bizarre apologies) So, please just imagine it with me, and here is the much less dramatic photo of them on our dining room table:
So I've been packing and organizing and organizing some more. I love to plan, so this trip has been a delightful personal project for me! :-) I've had fun working on a few projects for everyone, and Mod Podge has been my personal assistant through it all. Everyone has their own personally labeled chapstick (made new labels, Mod-Podged them on... is that a verb?)- fun, yes, but mostly argument avoiding! We also each have a sketchbook/journal to record our experiences in, along with colored pencils. It will be interesting to see how each of the kids decides to record this trip and what is deemed worthy of immortalizing. I just completed the covers tonight and the backs all have a map of Guatemala on them. I hope that on our trip the kids will let me post some of what they've written for the day... Our bags are almost packed (including four 50# bins of donations so far), our plans are nearly finalized barring a few half-day tours that need confirmation, and we've been checking weather reports (78-80 in Guatemala City, mid 70's for Totonicapan, and 92-98 for Tikal with 100% humidity and a "feels like" temp of 105... did you all know I really don't like to be hot? Like even 90's if I can't just sit around?), and learning about the Mayans and their history at Tikal. Ella is very concerned that they will still be there and try to conquer her tribe. Even assured that this particular group of Mayans is long dead, she is seeking to be certain that death is final- she wants to KNOW that they're not coming back (her helpful brother keeps reminding us about Lazarus). Personally, with the way she was shrieking yesterday at lunch outside when her nameless 6.5 yr old brother was putting an spider in her hair, I think she should worry more about the life that WILL be present there in the rainforest! :-)

Last Saturday we had the honor of attending the wedding of a dear young woman, Emily, who came up through our youth group. She actually was with us in Guatemala taking photos when we first laid eyes on Max and held him in our arms. We were there with 8 of our high school students on a mission trip, beginning at Hannah's Hope building a playground. What an amazing time that was, and so precious that we had just received our referral of Max and were able to meet him when we were there. On that same trip, Emily had the privilege of meeting her two new sisters who were also waiting in Guatemala! The girls are the same ages as Kyler and Max, so it's fun to share that heritage. However, I really don't think it's a big deal to the kids, and this is why I have my suspicions: When we were talking about how Emily was with us when we first met Max and how she got to meet her sisters that same week, Max looked at me quite puzzled and asked, "They were in Guatemala?" Those details seem to fade when you just enjoy playing with your friends!
These friends had a great time on the dance floor at the reception, and it was so much fun to watch them!


Heather & Max

Kyler & his lovely dancing partner

Heather gets a dance with a precious little girl while her parents tear up the dance floor... :-)


The Guatemalan cuties!

These two kept coming back with more poses... "Take a picture of us again!"

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! I laughed so hard reading this... poor Ella, afraid the Mayans are coming back to life. :) I just absolutely can't wait to hear about your trip as it unfolds... we will definitely be checking up on the blog daily! Love you all!!! - Aunt Amy